Thursday 17 June 2010

The Giver Should be Grateful


When was choice ever mine
To dally with touch, taste sound or scent

Whenever did the Gods relent
Or offer less than bitter brine

Except to show a verdant vale
Then deny the door and trail.

Would that fate had shaped another path
That feet touch earth in another part
Perhaps in life join an other heart
No-one wants to be apart.

Yet this is the path that led me here
To meeting friends that I hold dear
And reading words and then to hear
A heart that’s true is always near.

Small are the mercies of this life
Unless its true, God plays with dice
Small are the treasures that we find
Buried deep in Heart and Mind

These true gifts that we revere
Unheeded, unloved will disappear
But greater love in greater measure
Will make all earth our very own treasure

And so it is I take my fate
To guide me places I would forsake
And so it is I take this life
Enjoying friendship while I might
For to hold as friend is a precious gift
Too soon, too soon, away they drift.

No comments: